Old National Road Driving Institute Rules
EFFECTIVE JULY 23, 2019:
PER BMV REGULATION AND INDIANA LAW
THE CDE FORM (NEEDED TO OBTAIN A PERMIT) WILL NO LONGER BE ISSUED UPFRONT FOR THE ONLINE PROGRAM. STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE THE ONLINE PORTION OF THE COURSE BEFORE THE CDE FORM WILL BE ISSUED.
Instructions for Obtaining a Permit
Change in Indiana State Law:
As of January 01, 2012 students must be at least 15 years of age to participate in a state approved driver's education program. Students may not obtain a permit prior to the minimum age requirement.
1. Students may apply for a permit up to three (3) weeks before the start of class. Students must be at least fifteen (15) years of age to apply for a driver education permit.
2. As of July 1, 2012 (NEW STATE LAW) the State of Indiana requires that all licensed drivers take and pass the written exam prior to the issue of a license or permit. This includes a driver's education permit, learners permit and operator license.
3. Full payment must be received before we will issue a C.D.E. form (Certificate of Driver's Education), which verifies that the student is enrolled in a driver education course, and is needed to obtain the permit.
4. The C.D.E. form must be taken to the BMV with an original or certified copy of the birth certificate and the student's social security card (which must be signed). BMV website has the proper documents listed on-line and we also have a copy of that information in our office. If you have questions or trouble when collecting your documents, you can call the BMV toll-free at 1-888-myBMV-411 (1-888-692-6841) and speak with a customer service representative for help, or visit any Indiana license branch for assistance.
Note: The BMV makes all decisions pertaining to acceptable identification, not the Driving School.
5. A parent or legal guardian will need to go to the license branch with a student under the age of eighteen in order to sign a financial responsibility statement.
6. After passing an eye exam and written exam, the student will be issued a paper permit. The plastic permits will be sent in the mail, and will arrive 7-10 days later per the BMV. If you have not received your permit within 2 weeks, PLEASE contact the BMV.
LOST PERMITS: You will need to contact the BMV to obtain a new permit.
EXPIRED PERMITS: The BMV does not renew permits. If the student lets the Driver Education permit expire, he/she must then return to the BMV, take the written exam, and apply for a learners permit.
Note: Students who let their permit expire will not be eligible to take the road test at the driving school.